This year the Special Olympic Regional horse show for Area 10 will be held on Sunday, April 7, 2013 at Equest (3800 Troy Road, Wylie, TX 75098).
The Special Olympics Regional Horse Show (Area 10) has been hosted by Equest since 1990. This is an annual event that we look forward to each year. Please check the calendar for more information about the upcoming Special Olympics games.
The area show allows the top winners in each class to advance to the State Special Olympic Games. Equest typically sends a delegation of 20+ riders to the games accompanied by their team of instructors, horses and volunteers.
The Special Olympics State Games will be held May 17th, 18th, and 19th in Bryan, Texas.
Here are the Special Olympic Guidelines:
The Special Olympics is a wonderful opportunity for exceptional individuals to compete in athletic events all over the nation and the world. Athletes have the opportunity to compete at the regional level (Area 10), the state level, and the international level.
- Athlete must be eight years old before date of competition for Area 10.
- Athlete must be 12 years old before date of competition for State show.
- Athlete's primary diagnosis must consist of a cognitive disability determined by a physician.
- Person's with Atlanto-Axial Instability (AAI) may not particpate in equestrian events due to risk of injury.
- Athlete must complete a Special Olympics athlete enrollment/medical release form and return to delegation.
To learn more about the special olympics games, please visit www.specialolympics.org.