The Special Olympics Regional Horse Show (Area 10) has been hosted by Equest since 1990. We greatly anticipate this event each year.
Please check the Equest calendar in the coming months for more information about the 2015 Special Olympics.
The Special Olympics is a wonderful opportunity for exceptional individuals to compete in athletic events all over the nation and the world. Athletes have the opportunity to compete at the regional level (Area 10), the state level, and the international level.
Equest typically sends a delegation of 20+ riders to the Area 10 Games accompanied by their team of instructors, horses and volunteers.
The Special Olympics Area 10 show allows the top winners in each class to advance to the State Special Olympic Games.
Special Olympic Guidelines & Eligibility Requirements:
- Athlete must be eight years old before date of competition for Area 10.
- Athlete must be 12 years old before date of competition for State show.
- Athlete's primary diagnosis must consist of a cognitive disability determined by a physician.
- Person's with Atlanto-Axial Instability (AAI) may not particpate in equestrian events due to risk of injury.
- Athlete must complete a Special Olympics athlete enrollment/medical release form and return to delegation.